I first joined in 2016, with the aim to read and review 12 books by AWWs, including two by indigenous authors and two by LGBTI* authors. While I didn’t quite succeed on the LGBTI* front (I left it too late, and then didn’t end up liking one of the books I had selected enough to finish it), I did succeed on the other fronts, and ended up reviewing 16 books by Australian Women.
This year I have set myself the same challenge, and plan to do better on the diversity front.
If you would like more information about the Australian Women Writers Challenge, please click here.
Update 30/12/17: Below is the list of my reviews. I was successful in both my main challenge and my diversity challenge this year. See you here again next year!
- The Natural Way of Things by Charlotte Wood (thriller – 3 stars)
- The Rebirth of Rapunzel by Kate Forsyth (non-fiction – 3 stars)
- A Corner of White by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA fantasy – 4 stars)
- The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA fantasy – 4 stars)
- A Tangle of Gold by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA fantasy – 2.5 stars)
- Puberty Blues by Kathy Lette and Gabrielle Carey (YA – 2 stars)
- Walpiri Women’s Voices: Our Lives, Our History compiled by Janet Nakamarra Long and Georgina Napangardi and edited by Petronella Vaarzon-Morel (non-fiction – unrated) (Indigenous authors/contributors)
- The Man from Snowy River by Elyne Mitchell (historical/adventure – 4 stars)
- The Secret Science of Magic by Melissa Keil (YA – 4.5 stars)
- How the Aliens from Alpha Centauri Invaded My Maths Class and Turned Me Into a Writer… and How You Can Be One, Too by Jackie French (non-fiction – 4 stars)
- Heart of Brass by Felicity Banks (steampunk/fantasy – 3 stars)
- The Betrayal of Bindy MacKenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty (YA contemporary – 2 stars)
- The Year of Freaking Out by Sarah Walker (YA contemporary – 3.5 stars) (LGBTI* author)
- The Space Between by Rachel Sanderson (YA contemporary – 4 stars)
- A Semi-Definitive List of Worst Nightmares by Krystal Sutherland (YA contemporary/magical realism – 4 stars)
- The Disappearance of Ember Crow by Ambelin Kwaymullina (YA dystopian – 3 stars) (Indigenous author)
- A Dangerous Language by Sulari Gentill (historical fiction/mystery – 3 stars)
- The Foretelling of Georgie Spider by Ambelin Kwaymullina (YA dystopian – 3 stars)
- Fake Geek Girl by Tansy Rayner Roberts (urban fantasy – 4 stars)
- The Bromancers by Tansy Rayner Roberts (urban fantasy – 4 stars)
- Stay by Jesse Blackadder (Children’s fiction – 3 stars) (LGBTI* author)