I’m going to start my post with WIPpet Wednesday, so that those who are only visiting for that don’t have to scroll through all my lists in my ROW80 update. For those who don’t know WIPpet Wednesday is a weekly blog hop where writers come together and share excerpts from their WIPs. The only rule is that it has to somehow relate to the date. The linky is here. I’ve got three paragraphs from Unicorn Love. After Aphrodite informs Lydia that she was responsible for Lydia and her (now ex-)boyfriend, David, coming together in the first place, she drops another bombshell: David is moving back to town.
“He’s been offered a job here, and he’s hoping that enough time has passed that he can deal with the return.”
“Then I imagine he’ll be trying to avoid me at all costs.”
“I wouldn’t say that.” Lydia tilted her head at her boss. “Five years later and he’s still got your number on his phone. His fingers have hovered over it more than once in the past few weeks, though he’s talked himself out of calling you every time. Make no mistake, Lydia, you are certainly on his mind.”
As you’ll see below, I have basically finished Unicorn Love. The whole story is there, I just need to polish some of it up.
Onto a ROW80 update. ROW80 is the Writing Challenge That Knows You Have Life. Last week I decided to try setting myself some weekly goals to see if it helped with my time management. I think it was really beneficial and I’m definitely going to keep doing it. Here’s how the last week went:
- Complete readings for critical exhibition review for MUSC8017 – completed Monday night
- Get first draft of critical exhibition review up to 750/1500 words for MUSC8017 – I got it to 736 words, which is close enough.
- Complete Module 2 forum discussion response for HIST8015 – I wanted to do this last night, but ended up being too tired. Howeverm Module 2 runs for this week as well, so I’m okay.
- Do 50% of readings for Module 2 online exercise (HIST8015) – ditto
- Write a review of Cinder to go up on here on Friday – done and done!
- Finish second draft of Unicorn Love. – also done! Though the final scene is awful and basically needs a complete do-over. But I’m having some away time for a little while before I do that.
- Visit 5 ROW80 blogs and at least 50% of the WIPpet Wednesday blogs – while I only got to maybe 30% of the WIPpet blogs, I did visit some ROW80 blogs after the Sunday check-in (even though I don’t actually participate in that one myself).
Additionally to everything above, I also brainstormed a new short story on my lunch break on Monday. I wrote a little of it during a meeting on Monday afternoon but I think I will wait until I’m on a computer to really start it in earnest. I’m quite enjoying the short story writing, even though I don’t know what I’m really going to do with them later.
So, goals for this week. We have a long weekend in my state this week, so an extra day for doing things! 😀 (though that day will probably be reserved for housework, as my other half is working anyway, so I’ll have the house to myself)
- Write review of Redshirts by John Scalzi
- Spend an hour each day reading
- Write 500-1000 words on First Christmas*
- Complete A Day In My Life post for LiveJournal.
- Visit 50% of WIPpet posts and at least 5 ROW80 blogs
- Complete Critical Exhibition Review for MUSC8017
- Plan 750-word response for HIST8015
*I actually have no idea how long this story will be, but this will be a good start on it.
This is how I’ll achieve these goals:
- Write Redshirts review tonight
- Spend an hour writing tonight with the Internet turned off
- Organise photos and post ADIML post tomorrow
- Spend an hour tomorrow finding sources for history assignment
- Dedicate Saturday to critical exhibition review. Ask Edy to assist with structure, as well as making sure what I think is critical analysis is in fact critical analysis.
- Spend two hours on Sunday doing reading for 750-word response. Make notes.
- Spend an hour (or two if necessary) on Sunday dot-pointing a plan for response.
- Spread out blog visits over the weekend.
If some of the weekend tasks spill over into Monday, that’s okay, but I’d like to have one full day of the long weekend to enjoy if I can manage it. (I know what you’re thinking: “Enjoy? But you said you were doing housework.” Yes, well, I’m one of those people who gets immeasurable pleasure and satisfaction from cleaning).
We’re waiting for dinner to be delivered right now, but I think I will go start on my Redshirts review. I’ll catch up with you all soon!